When you have a bunch of valuable electronic components and sound systems, you need to protect these investments. Surge protection is one great way to do this. However, the best power conditioner can be very helpful too as it also provides your electronics and components the protection it needs.
Surge protectors are excellent against voltage spikes that can be damaging to your electronics. But, beyond voltage spikes and surges, electro-magnetic interference, radio frequency interference, as well as fluctuations in voltages can have a damaging effect on your entertainment, sound and other electronic devices, ruining the sound and picture quality they produce.
Advantages Of The Best Power Conditioner
The best power conditioner serves as a buffer or a shield between your outlet and your electronic devices which gives out a smooth voltage fluctuations and EMI that can influence the performance of your system. With that, let’s have a look at some of the advantages of power conditioners which makes it an essential equipment to have in your music studio or home.
- Protects Your Equipment. Power conditioners protects your equipment from voltage surges that pass through electrical lines, LAN connections, coax TV as well as phone lines which can cause the degradation of the performance or failure of your system.
- Eliminates Noise. Television, radios, sound systems and other appliances needing high current can produce noise. With a power conditioner, noise in electrical lines is removed.
- Corrects Voltage Fluctuations. The best power conditioner can correct the distortions or fluctuations in voltages and waveforms.
Types Of Power Conditioners
There are different types of power conditioners, and your choice will depend on the what you are going to use it for. Below are the main types of power conditioners and their limitations.
- Passive-type Filters. This is the cheapest kind of power conditioner. These power conditioners push away high frequency noise components via a capacitor and provides basic capabilities for noise-reduction.
- Balanced Transformer. This type of power conditioner has an isolation balanced transformer that balances the feed of the AC power as well as have noise reduction capabilities which suites video and audio components. They cost more than a passive-type filter power conditioner, are bulkier, heavier and is noisier. Because of the damping effect of a balanced transformer, they provide limited power.
- AC Regenerative Power Conditioners. These types are more expensive, much bigger and heavier. AC regenerative power conditioners produces much heat when in use. However, they address issues that are connected to video spectrum and noise in audio much better. Furthermore, they also correct voltage distortions in waveforms better too regardless of the systems you have and are almost noise-free.